A Book About My Favorite Books

So, this weekend, my darling parents came to visit me and my two brothers in good ol' Clemson! It's always so exciting when they come to visit. Since they were coming, my momma bought me a book that I've been wanting to read--Lies Women Believe: And The Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. It's a book about learning to identify the lies that we often believe about ourselves and the world around us. Even more importantly, DeMoss writes about how to defeat those same lies with The Truth--the Bible. I'm really looking forward to adding this book to my collection.

Since I love reading so much, I just thought I would take a few minutes to make a small list of some of my favorite books of all time.


1) Keep A Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot. This is an absolutely amazing book composed of journal entries and writings by Elisabeth Elliot. In today's society, anxiety and worry are a major problem, and I often struggle with it myself. Sometimes anxious thoughts completely attack and overwhelm my brain to the point where I feel like I am actually drowning. Reading through this book taught me how to maintain a quiet heart and a still soul that fully trusts the Lord despite the crazy circumstances I face everyday. To this day, this book has probably impacted my life the most (next to the Bible, of course haha).

2) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. When in doubt, classic novels are always an excellent choice. I first read this in AP English Literature, and I couldn't put it down. Now, I think I have read it three times. It's a story of a young orphaned girl who lives unhappily with distant relatives. Her story changes and progresses as she grows older and ends with a completely beautiful love story. Amazing literature like this just isn't written anymore.

3) Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your Love Life Under Christ's Control by Elisabeth Elliot. Yep. Another Elisabeth Elliot book. This one I highly recommend for all single women. I learned how to strive to follow God's will for my future relationships and the importance of having a Christ-centered relationship. So many relationships today are focused merely on worldly things. The truth is--worldly things never last, as seen by the ever increasing divorce rates. Really, please read it. It's only $2 on Amazon!

4) And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. Hosseini is one of the very few modern day writers that I think actually resembles classic writers. His diction and syntax are superb. It is almost hard to believe that it was written in today's era sometimes while reading. This particular book I picked up in an airport to read on my next international flight (because in-flight entertainment gets really old really fast). It's about a brother and sister originally living in the Middle East. Best friends since birth, they are then separated at a young age. The rest of the novel intertwines different stories that are all connected in some way or another. I don't want to spoil anything, but it really is a good read if you're looking for a good book to read on vacation or even just during some down time.



There really are so many other magnificent books that I love. I could write a book about all my favorite books (ha, see what I did there). These, nonetheless, still remain as some of my absolute favorites.


So, what's your favorite book? Why do you love it so much? I'm always looking for a good book to read next :)


xoxo
Hannah


Comments

  1. The Holiness of God by RC Sproul

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Hannah! Lies Women Believe is one of my faves !!! Can't wait to see how you LOVE it! :) Another that I love is "As Silver Refined" by Kay Arthur. Linda Gibbons

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts